While it might sound unlikely for tourists familiar with the intensely urbanized side of Milan, the city is surprisingly green, counting several tens of parks and gardens of different sizes. But while in Milan, visitors should not overlook a walk in the city’s largest green space, namely, the Public Gardens. Stretching on a surface of 172,000 square meters in the northeast area of Milan, the Public Gardens also stand out as one of the oldest parks of the city. Their history begins in 1784, when the authorities decided to lay out the first communal park. The garden, which resulted following the landscaping work of Giuseppe Piermarini, underwent important changes in time. It was twice modified in the 19th century by Giuseppe Balzaretto (in 1962) and by Emilio Alemagna (in 1881), as well as repeatedly restored in the 20th century (as well as in the early 21st century).
But these historical considerations aside, the park, while not exquisitely trimmed, is at present a pleasant refuge for both the locals and the visitors of Milan. It still keeps some of the original decorative patrimony and vegetation (artificial lakes, numerous statues and monuments – the statue of Indro Montanelli, after whom the park was initially named, is especially notable, even if realized no sooner than 2002 – patterns of alleys and the like), but, overall, its modern look prevails. The 18th century Palazzo Dugnani, the Civic Museum of Natural History and the Ulrico Hoepli Planetarium are, of course, worth visiting by tourists who happen to stroll around in the park. Keep in mind the park is also fitted with two dog friendly areas, with cycle paths and jogging routes, as well as with playing areas.
The Guastalla Garden is located in southeast Milan. Laid out in 1555, is, thus, the oldest park of the city. It is one of the most crowded parks in Milan.
The Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie of Milan is where Leonardo da Vinci’s Last Supper was painted. The church was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The Basilica of Sant’Eustorgio in Milan shelters the relics and garments of the Three Magi. It was first built in the 4th century, and repeatedly restored